Thursday, November 12, 2009

Repurposed Skates

Remember how I mentioned that I've been obsessed with getting a pair of white figure skates and taking the blades off to wear them as boots? Well, I sort of gave up on that idea because I figured the boots would be terribly uncomfortable, but in the meantime I found something even better: a pair of proper boots that look pretty much like skates. I found these randomly via the Dr. Martens website, but since I knew that Docs' sizing can be unpredictable I waited until I was in Seattle, where there's a whole Docs store, so that I could try them on first. Though they're still a little stiff around the ankles, I'm convinced that these will be way more comfortable than a pair of repurposed skates.

I went bare-legged with this outfit, knowing it would probably be the last time I'd be able to do so until mid next year. This was during several days of calm, warm weather that we had about a week and a half ago, which has since been replaced with the normal foggy drizzle so common this time of year.

Jacket: Forever 21
Dress: Noa Noa
Boots: Dr. Martens

15 comments:

violetville said...

i've been sort of lusting after some white docs for awhile now! i don't think i can pull them off though. you've done an excellent job. actual ice skates are *really* stiff around the ankles, so i think you've made a great choice to forego them! (though they are cute, of course)

Mz. Whitney said...

I actually did that with roller skates when I was about 15. It really didn't work out. Those soles were not meant to be walked on! After wearing them a couple of times, I had holes in the bottoms and nails sticking my feet. Plus I was out a pair of roller skates! So you've done well by approximating the look with ACTUAL shoes. Good one.

Lemondrop Marie said...

Wow, and you look as if you can glide. They are lovely.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Robin said...

I remembered you mentioning wanting to do this in a previous post- and when I saw the picture and title I thought you really had! I couldn't tell the difference at first between these and a pair of skate boots. Glad you found such a great solution!

bekster said...

Those boots are awesome! They totally look like ice-skates, so feminine but with a hint of attitude.

Charlie said...

Even if you had never mentioned about the wanting to do that with a pair of ice skates I would have seen how much those boots resemble ice skates - they are amazing.

Eyeliah said...

very cool, so ironic that I was thinking about doing this just today ;-)

Sheila said...

Good score! These are awesome!

mbbored said...

I think those look better than ice skating boots!

I'm a frequent reader, infrequent commenter (sorry!) who'll be in San Francisco next week for a girls weekend. Would you mind recommending some good thrift stores?

gina said...

Great shoes!

Suz said...

I can't get over your hair. SO CUTE. How's the comfort level on those Docs? I have some regular, flat ones and they are incomparably comfy.

WendyB said...

Those shoes give you that look perfectly! I wish Docs fit me...

Audi said...

mbbored: Definitely hit the flagship Goodwill store on Van Ness and Mission -- you can while away hours in there. Out of the Closet has several locations around town, though I like the one at Church and Duboce the best. And then over on Valencia Street near 16th there's a clothing-by-the-pound store that always has good stuff. Have fun!!

Suz: Well, they're Docs, so right now they're really stiff, but I'm confident these will be great once I break them in fully. The platform is a bit rounded on the bottom, so they sort of roll as you walk and don't require so much bending. WAY more comfy than the break-in period I've had with other Docs.

wardrobeexperience said...

oh, I'd love to get my hands on a pair of docs like this in black.
when I was young I was wearing docs but I never liked them too much, because they're not comfy enough...

Nadine said...

Love the boots!