Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pez Dispenser

I hate Lucky Magazine, I really do. And sadly, I subscribe to it -- not through any fault of my own, but simply because I was offered a free subscription from Amazon and it was either that or Details. Actually I think I should've chosen Details, come to think of it. Anyhow, here is what I hate about Lucky:

  • Irritatingly banal comments: If you're going to tell me that a skin cream has the most 'awesome scent EVER!,' then make sure you didn't tell me pretty much the same thing about a different skin cream last month, okay guys? And while we're at it, could we have some descriptive words that are a little more informative than 'awesome?'

  • Shopping tips that are not for the average-sized wallet: As I recall, Lucky started out as a shopping mag geared towards the everyday gal, loaded with things you could buy at drug stores, Target, or Old Navy. These days I find that the affordable items are the rarities.

  • Unimaginative style advice: This is by far my biggest complaint with Lucky. Every month I scour the pages, and every month I end up with 20 wasted minutes of my life that I'll never get back, and a bunch of needlessly-killed trees in the trash bin. Rarely do I find anything truly cutting edge, and many of the 'trends' that are featured are nothing more than a bird motif that's made its way onto a couple of pieces of jewelery and a scarf.

So why am I going on about Lucky? Because this month, wonder of wonders, I actually found something that inspired me in its pages. Actually it was just a Gap ad, which really could've been in any magazine, but I'm giving Lucky a little credit for it because this month is my last issue and I'd rather not think of the whole episode as a pointless time suck. Adding to the amazement of finding anything worthwhile in Lucky, I found it, of all places, in this horrid image:

The most awesomely hideous outfit EVER!

What are they, exactly -- lumberjacks? Beaver trappers? Because I can't think of any other reason to wear that getup, unless maybe you lost a dare. As if the high heeled hiking boots weren't bad enough, they're wearing those giant furry hats that give you a disproportionally-large head like a Pez dispenser. Gross. The boots over the socks over the jeans, however, intrigued me, because I've been looking for a way to tuck my jeans into my cropped boots without getting a lot of weird bagging or having the jeans keep popping out. And so, from the image of the Misses Grizzly Adams above, this outfit was born:


I don't even need to have a dead animal carcass stuffed in my hat to make a good outfit.


So let's see, what did I learn from this experience?
1) Jeans can be tucked into cropped boots with the help of a long pair of sturdy socks.
2) I could've found this out from a Gap billboard, so Lucky Magazine still sucks.

Shirt: Promod
Vest: A. Byer
Jeans: Joe's
Boots: Doc Martens

23 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Kudos on picking that up; I think my eyes might have melted first...
Not sure what people's obsession with all this plaid and fur is all about (well, other then brainwash marketing).

Deja Pseu said...

Great minds think alike...tomorrow I bash on some bad fashion that's got some elements in common with that Gap ad.

Deja Pseu said...

But I love the argyle theme you're working here!

Anonymous said...

Audi - The reason I check your blog every day is that your choices are so much more inspired than any magazine spreads I've seen.

I'd like to see your advice on finding interesting shoes & getting out of THAT fashion rut. The shoes seem to be the defining factor in a lot of your outfits as well as those of many of the blogs you like. My shoe wardrobe, for the most part, is truly boring, but I can't seem to get past it.

Ellen

A-C said...

You're too funny! Also, its awesome (LOL) that you have matching argyle socks and sweater vest.

Sheila said...

I love that you got something out of that rag, Lucky! This is why, except for Glamour (long-time reader), I avoid those magazines - they're so uncreative with fashion! I just read an article about the LBD for the holidays. Seriously, really? What about something really cool?

Anyway, sorry to ramble! You look...delightfully discordant (in a good way) in this outfit.

Audi said...

Anonymous Ellen: Ooh, great idea for a post! I'm adding it to my list and will start working something up!

Lesa said...

Audi, first I must say I love your argyle! Second, I hate Lucky too! My husband keeps renewing the subscription accidentally. Reading it only lets me know that there are people way skinnier, way, way richer than me, and that the mag is an advertising whore...

fröken lila said...

well, i don't read lucky magazine, but i have to say that i do have one of those furry hats (its warm and if your boyfriend lives in norway and you go there in winter you want warm ears) which i think is really cool even if it makes my head look three times bigger. and i really like those heeled hiking boots. actually i'd say they are probably not much different from your doc martens, apart from being made of dark suede instead of white smooth leather and having light coloured soles instead of a dark coloured ones.
but. i think that the whole outfit together (in the ad) is quite hideous. i'd never wear my hat with heeled shoes and especially not with a lumberjack shirt.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

You just made me laugh with your hilarious screed here! I love the argyle with the stripes. I'm definitely going to have to try this look with cropped boots myself. Thanks!

Sal said...

Hahahaha. I am still a huge fan of Lucky since I feel like the mag cuts to the chase: Articles are succinct and the focus is on products and styling. Although I stumble across the occasional Elle article that actually contains thoughts, I generally want my fashion mags to be fun and inspirational. And I actually DO see the occasional look in there that piques my interest.

But I agree that they seem to have a list of 15 adjectives and that perhaps we should buy the staff a thesaurus for the holidays.

The Thrifty Stylist said...

docs with heels?! wow. love them. this is a totally cute outfit. and i become less and less enamored with lucky with each issue... the prices are indeed so very high, and there's really nothing new or interesting ever. sigh. my $12 was perhaps not well spent, but they did send me a free handbag :P

jennine said...

i've only read lucky at the doctors office! woops!

but i do love those white docs... really!

oh, i'll be in touch closer to my trip to SF, i'd love to meet up!

et said...

Audi - Great news that you're picking up on the shoes post idea - thanks! I'm planning on getting myself the Fluevog booties for Christmas, but am having a hard time seeing me in them with anything but slacks! Even so, it's a start! I was amused to see on their website that the shoes are sold in Iowa only in the one small town where I just recently visited family - had I known that, I could have shopped for them in person then! Now I'm going to have to order online & hope for the best.

Ellen

Pennerad said...

ooh, cool boots!

Anonymous said...

Those (and other) hats are actually a lifesaver for me. I have giant shoulders and a disproportionately tiny head, and so... fur to the rescue! Big hair works too, as do certain types of cloches with flared brims.

That said, the ad outfit is uh... not so hot. D: And I cannot imagine tucking jeans into socks myself, but you make it work, so kudos :D

Diana said...

I love your take on the outfit - much better than the original image.

avitania said...

So cute! I stumbled my way onto your blog recently looking for Buenos Aires shopping tips (just got back! Loved it!), and have been loving your posts. Especially this one, because I bought a pair of cute calf-high, chunky wedge boots by Kenneth Cole Reaction a couple of years ago and haven't figured out how to wear them because of the in-between height. They'll totally look great with the jeans tucked into a cute pair of socks. Great post!

Striving Green said...

I love your observations about Lucky Magazine :-) I'm wearing boots for the first time since Three's Company taught me how to wear boots with gaucho pants and a vest (yikes - I know).

Thanks for the tips!

gina said...

Love the mixed prints in all black and white. GREAT boots!

Eyeliah said...

this post made me laug, I d/l pretty much all magazines (but I agree Details would be better). I find inspiration in such odd places too... like in childrens clothing ads or on 90210 or Melrose Place. :) Weird places for me I guess.

bluerose said...

I'm a big fan of your outfits. They are always so rich in structure. And argyle socks are on my wishlist, but they don't seem to exist where I live.

Beatrice said...

Been enjoying your blog for the past couple of months after finding it through many links.

I really, really miss Gap's past ad campaigns like Audrey Hepburn (for their cigarette pants) or Sarah Jessica Parker (for their cashmere and knits). This lumberjack chic, I agree, is appalling.