Thursday, November 26, 2009

It's Thanksgiving...

...and today I am thankful for: MONKS.


Actually I'm thankful for Mark, who reminded me of all the reasons I should be thankful for monks, but then I'm thankful for Mark every day, so we'll give this one to the Benedictines, Trappists, Dominicans, Carthusians, and all the rest.

Now I realize that this is a style blog, and as far as I know the monks have done jack shit for style over the centuries, but what you may not know about me is that I'm also a big cocktail aficionado, a longtime homebrewer, and somewhat of a foodie. And because of this, I'm spending today thinking about these monk-tastic contributions to civilization:
























And just for good measure, I'll even imagine that the monks were out on the town, wearing far more stylish ensembles than these when they first hit upon their brilliant culinary and, er, booziary(?) ideas, and that the robes were really just designed for ease of movement when you're rolling those giant kegs around the monastery.

Thanks, guys.

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Trappist ales are marvelous - I love Chimay!

I'm a single malt scotch afficianado, myself. :)

Happy Turkey Day!

Karin said...

Haha, I totally imagine very hip monks rocking the fashion world right now :-D Happy thanksgiving!

Tania said...

Benedictine!! I didn't even know they had it in the States! (I live in Burnley in the UK, which is the town with the highest Benedictine consumption in the world.)
By the way, I love your blog - it's compulsory daily reading!

Clare said...

Yay monks! Oh, and yay homebrewing. Joe and I have two very enticing carboys of a nut brown ale in the closet as we speak.

et said...

I read this eagerly anticipating the pay off of a monk-inspired outfit. Still waiting & hoping!

Anna Marie said...

ooh the benedictine is my all time favorite drink! yum
xo

A-C said...

<3 the Trappists!