Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Exceedingly Dull

Well, I was about to go on about how I've worn this skirt and this dress countless times but never thought to pair them until now, but upon perusing my past posts I discovered that I've only worn the skirt 5 other times this year, and the dress only 6 times since I bought it in February. And that really isn't very much, is it? So it's hardly surprising that I've never paired them until now. And with that I conclude my exceedingly dull story.

What I WILL go on about, though, is just how comfortable this outfit was. This skirt has a super stretchy, lightweight elastic waistband, while the dress has no constriction whatsoever around the midsection. Despite this, the outfit as a whole has very flattering shaping, and doesn't make me look like I'm wearing maternity clothes. It all hinges on the cut of the dress, which, though empire-waisted, doesn't puff out too much below the waistband. It's one of the most flattering empire dresses I've ever come across.

The dress has ample room in the bust and could easily accommodate much larger 'girls' than mine, while the pretty cowl neckline would soften and minimize said bust quite nicely. I imagine it would work really well on ladies with apple figures, too. The best part? I just discovered today that Modcloth has 2 other versions of this dress, a purple one and a houndstooth, both under 50 bucks!

T-shirt: H&M
Dress: Red Dress Shoppe
Skirt: ?
Shoes: John Fluevog

17 comments:

missjulied said...

That dress is really cute, and I love the purple one you link to. How is the sizing on it? Is it standard S=4/6, M=8/10?

Thanks!

bekster said...

You totally just described my figure. I guess I should go buy that dress! :) Now, where I can find an extra $50...

Audi said...

missjulied: Well, I'm not 100% sure that the dress on Modcloth is the same brand as the one I have, but it looks so similar that I'd be surprised if it weren't. The one I have fits very true to size, and the fabric is so soft and stretchy that it has a lot of leeway.

Healthy and Homemade said...

My mom and I were drooling over this dress on Modcloth! Love the houndstooth version =)

You look great here!

Ecc3ntricCynic said...

Gah the plum version is so delicious. The grey is just as gorgeous too!

Karin said...

Cute outfit. Especially love the shoes!

The Writing Instinct said...

Where have I been (oh...looking after sick mum and kids!!)...I missed your new hairyle which I just love! And you wear this look so well. Love it!

Sal said...

The drapey asymmetric neckline is what gets me. SO cute.

Robin said...

Oh, I've wanted that dress from Modcloth for forever! I really like the unique way you've styled it here.

Sheila said...

I actually can't stop drooling over your Fluevogs...with those tights! You look great in this!

Anonymous said...

Bought the dress just now based on your reco - I've gotten other items from Modcloth & always very pleased with the quality. Now I need a polkadot skirt or dress to put under it! Ellen

Eyeliah said...

oh but the large size of the dress is still only a 32 inch hip with 2 inch stretch? that's not gonna work for me! lol

Sonja said...

Ooooh, love the peek-a-boo dots! Those shoes are especially fabulous, too – love that teal color! xoxo, Sonja

Diana said...

I love this combination! The dress and the skirt really do look great together.

Erica said...

I have this dress in purple and i love it, but I wore it recently with a black long sleeve t-shirt underneath and black tights and boots and I felt very school-marm. What colors would you play with t-shirt and tights wise in the winter?

Audi said...

Erica: The purple would go beautifully with a deep peacock blue, emerald green, or mustard yellow. The rich jewel tones are perfect for winter; in the summer you could pair the same dress with bright teal, yellow, or orange for an equally seasonally-appropriate look. As long as you've got other colors in there, you can probably still wear the black boots and avoid the school marm vibe. :-)

Erica said...

Thanks Audi- I'm eager to go home and re-evaluate my closet! I'm not sure I currently have anything in those colors that would work as an under layer, but I'm up for any excuse for shopping! I'm not as brave as you fashion-wise, but your site has encouraged me to think a bit more creatively when combining items that I already own. Thanks!