Thursday, October 29, 2009

SteamCon

Last weekend Mark and I flew up to Seattle for the SteamCon convention, and also as an excuse to go visit all our Seattle friends. As you can see, Jess attended SteamCon with us, so here we are in all of our steampunk finery. The convention was pretty fun; by far the best part was looking at all the great costumes everyone put together. There was hardly anyone who hadn't put some serious effort into their outfit, and many people went so far as to create elaborate props such as mechanical wings and ray-guns and such. The event took place at the Marriott hotel, so it was very amusing to to sit in the bar and watch the average business traveler enter the lobby and look around in amazement at the sea of Victorian bustle dresses, top hats, and pith helmets. If you'd like to see photos of some of the other attendees, check out the Flickr SteamCon group pool here.

Jess and I both sported Mark's harness designs; I'm wearing the Mistress Lucille, which is a new addition to the shop. Jess is sporting the Russian Princess style, which she also kindly agreed to model for us. The hats were all made by me, of course. Lately I'm having a lot of fun with the mini topper style, and Jess's hat is a new variation I've been working on. Look for more of these mini toppers in the Etsy shop soon.

While I'm at it, I should also mention that a few of my hats are now for sale over at Dark Garden Corsetry! It's quite exciting for me to see my hats displayed alongside their beautiful corsets, and a brick-and-mortar shop is really the ideal way to sell hats. Below are a couple of photos I took the last time I was in the shop. If you live in, or are planning to visit San Francisco, this beautiful shop is definitely worth a look. And finally, speaking of corsets, I picked up a gorgeous brown and black waist cincher corset while I was at SteamCon, which I am totally going to wear to work. 'Cause you know I'm adventurous like that.

12 comments:

Sara said...

Wow, Audi, you all look fantastic! I was browsing through old posts of yours for inspiration recently and I got a chuckle out of the post where you said you'd never dress steampunk! You pull it off so well!

I know you already devote much valuable time to the blog Monday to Friday, but if you're feeling extra generous I would love to see your weekend outfits sometime. I just know you're not shlubbing it in stained sweatpants and flip-flops!

Best,
Sara

Ashe Mischief said...

All three of you look fantastic! Your outfits are so perfect...not too over the top. The small attentions to detail are lovely-- I love the new harness you're wearing, Audi, and I especially love the hat you created that Jess is wearing...
I may definitely need one!

Sheila said...

You look amazing - and next time I am in SF I will search out that shop! I love corset designs (pretty much anything that laces, buckles or ties, actually), and your hats are to DIE for.

You're just gorgeous!

Lorena said...

WOW this is sooooooo cool..... you guys look amazing !!!

Sal said...

All three of you look fantabulous! And I'm so excited about you selling your hats at Dark Garden ... what a great step for the business!

Alison said...

You all look great and so cool to have your hats in a cool shop. I'm so fascinated by the whole steampunk thing.

Linda said...

I really didn't know I had these steampunk tendencies, but every time you post one of those outfits my heart skips a beat. Tell me more about Jess's gorgeous skirt.

Robin said...

Steam punk is so much fun! Never tried playing with it myself, but I think it can be really funky and beautiful. I had no idea there were conventions! Might have to put that on my list.

Eyeliah said...

You have so many great pieces for the style, you all look great.

Audi said...

Linda: Jess's skirt is made by Steam Trunk; see this link for more info:
http://www.fiveanddiamond.com/store/product.php?productid=89&cat=14&page=1

kristophine said...

You all look fantastic--like you ought to be a team of heroes in a particularly nifty comic...

Liane said...

You have just broken my heart! I was going to go to SteamCon, but I had to cancel my plans due to other issues. I would have LOVED to have been lucky enough to see you. Your blog is so inspirational.

I hope you're considering returning to Seattle for RustyCon in January!