Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Small Message to the World

I really loved this outfit, and I'll tell you straight away that I completely lifted it from the photo of Esme and the Lane Way that Sal posted a few weeks back. The outfit just sort of evolved that way; this new jacket and skirt had just arrived and I wanted to wear them, and that week I was inspired by Sal's post as well as Kasmira's series of tights and toes outfits. The rest, as they say, is history.

This cape-like jacket was an unexpected find on the Forever 21 website; I actually went on there in search of a jacket that I saw Erin wearing (more on that later), and this jumped right out at me. Lately I've been somewhat fascinated by belted capes, but am a bit put off by the challenges associated with wearing them. This seemed like the perfect solution: a garment that has the look of a cape, but with armholes built in so that there's no fabric hanging in the way of your arms. And then the cut is so flattering with the wide cape, fitted waist, and peplum. Paired with the short, full skirt it gave me just the right proportions.

The skirt is pretty darn short to be made of such a lightweight fabric, especially in windy South San Francisco where I work, so I took the extra measure of wearing pettipants in addition to the opaque tights. As much as I'd relish the opportunity to appear on Daddy Likey, I don't really want to do it that way. So the ruffled ecru hem of the pettipants became not only a nice accent to the outfit, but also my small, silent message to the world, a message that said, "No matter how hard the wind blows, rest easy friends, you will not see my chocha."

Jacket, skirt: F21
T-shirt: H&M
Belt: Lazaro
Tights: MP
Sandals: John Fluevog

19 comments:

Clare said...

I'm sure Winona will be disappointed that she can't feature a fellow blogger on Daddy Likey, but this is a fabulous outfit. The shoes, the skirt, the jacket...I love it!

Suz said...

I love this outfit! It might be one of my favorites of yours. My favorite color is turquoise/teal, so that might have something to do with it. You look awesome.

And thanks for saying chocha.

Kimberly said...

Love, love, love this jacket!!! So fantastic! And of course your layering and mixture of textures is top notch!

Ashe Mischief said...

I echo the other ladies--this is a fantastic outfit! I especially love the cape/coat--it's a beauty (especially great find being a F21 piece!).

lsaspacey said...

Wow! I just wrote about this jacket on MY blog! Great to see what it looks like on someone. Now I want it even more!

Sal said...

That's right, you shield that chocha from the viewing public! Nice to see those Haights in action - aren't they surprisingly comfy?

Christine said...

You look fantastic - I especially love the skirt. And your silent message to the world is hysterical!!

A-C said...

I love this outfit! I'm not sure I could do tights + sandals, but I love the cape/jacket especially belted. Looks great!

Also---LOVE that you called it your chocha. I keep forgetting to ask, are you Latin or just love the continent/culture?

http://lawschoolfashionista.blogspot.com/

Sheila said...

I love that jacket! It would look great with a pencil skirt as well.

Drooling over your 'Vogs...

Audi said...

Sal: Yes, they ARE comfy! And they're so high -- they make me about 6 feet tall!

A-C: Haha, nooo, I'm about as caucasian as it gets -- German, Swedish, and French. I just have a fondness for the latin countries -- the music, the food, the weather, and especially the people and culture.

Eyeliah said...

oh this outfit is so fab, I just styled something in the same color scheme this morning (but then decided not to wear it lol). I will have to look up MP tights. :)

Heidi said...

Thismight be my all-time favourite! I just love it when women dress with the perfect amount of cuteness and playfulness. You rock!

Nadine said...

Fantastic outfit!

WendyB said...

No hope of chocha? Sigh. There's nothing to live for then...

Work With What You've Got said...

Now I am going to have to go look for the little cape thing!~ :D

misswiniw said...

What happens if you want to read one of those books?

Audi said...

misswiniw: The books aren't all in a single stack; there are shallow shelves that separate them into piles of about 5 or 6 books. This is what the bookcase looks like empty: http://www.dwr.com/product/furniture/living/storage/sapien-bookcase-short.do?sortby=ourPicks

Kasmira said...

So jealous of the cape! It's gorgeous and so flattering on you!

Alli said...

I love the detail on that skirt and the way the cape frames your upper half. Beautiful!

And good to know about those book stacks - what a neat idea!