Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Here I Am! [rocking you not so much like a hurricane, but perhaps rather a refreshingly crisp, light mist]

Thanks to Audi for her badgering encouragement (hee!) to finally contribute to the blog properly (my first solo post!), and to all of you - for your lovely welcomes! It's exciting (and a little bit scary) to put myself "out there", but I know you'll be gentle. Right?!?

As Audi mentioned, I do indeed work in finance, and am frequently "out in the field" as it were. This means both lots of airplane travel and also fairly-to-very conservative work environments. Trust me, this can make packing a grueling ordeal for an accomplished procrastinator. However, being aligned with the IT department, perhaps I'm given (or maybe take?) a little bit of leeway - or at least try to push the envelope a bit, as the matchy-matchy suit situation doesn't appeal to me for daily wear. It's a challenge to put together outfits that balance "Business-y" but are still "me" (decidedly NOT business-y). Sure, it can be easy to just throw on pants/jacket combo with a button-down underneath, and I have been known to rock the pinstriped 3-piece on occasion. But you know, sometimes I just don't wanna wear something so stifling.

It was cold this morning, and I was tired, cranky, under-caffeinated, and late(!), so a bit of comfort was called for - quickly. This charcoal grey skirt is a staple of mine during chillier months; I'm pretty excited that I get to wear it again with tights and sweaters! This little vest satisfies my need for layers without being bulky (the nerdygirl in me LOVES an argyle v-neck!), and paired with a mauve checkered button-down, makes a potentially monochromatic ensemble a bit more interesting - but still appropriate for a day full of meetings in the suit-and-tie world.  Two-tone mary janes make for a good contrast, while adding a bit of quirkiness.



Chasing away the grey clouds with a little bit of sparkle, I added these gorgeous gems scored in Buenos Aires @ Manu Lizarralde - the amethysts are some of the biggest I've seen on an earring, and the quality is amazing.


The ring is an eye-catching pearl set in silver that never came off once tried on. I still can't believe we went to that shop -3- times. [Also, I'll never be a hand model.]

I'll admit that fashion-wise, I'm still learning what works - being a curvy girl at times has its frustrations, as does the potentially stuffy corporate world, but I look forward to sharing more outfits and adventures!

Skirt: Banana Republic
Vest: H&M
Shoes: groove




20 comments:

kristin said...

Love your outfit! Thanks for sharing. I also work in a fairly conservative workplace and sometimes find it hard to know what to wear.

That ring is gorgeous!

Audi said...

Hooray, Jess's first solo post! You look adorable as always!

A-C said...

As a fellow curvy woman working in a semi-conservative atmosphere, I LOVE this outfit! It's super cute and funky all at the same time.


http://lawschoolfashionista.blogspot.com/

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

Lovely to hear from you. As another curvy girl it is always good to see what works - I love your outfit.
More posts please.

evanadine said...

yay for curvy, funky + fashion! as someone who has put on weight over the last few years + is re-learning how to dress her body, its great to see someone who has both curves and style rock them both!
i look forward to more posts from jess!

Sweet Machine said...

Delurking to say you look completely adorable, and I'm excited to see you join Audi. I'm another curvy woman looking forward to seeing the nuts and bolts of your style.

Eyeliah said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. You have such a great upbeat spirit, excited to read more from you. :)

Christine said...

Love the outfit!! Looking forward to more of your posts!

Karen S. said...

Welcome, Jess! I discovered Audi's blog a few months back and have been hooked ever since. She has such a unique sense of style -- and I see that you do, too. I'm especially excited to see what you pull together because like you, I live in Seattle. My husband and I moved here from S. Florida this past March, so as you can imagine, I'll be dressing much differently. I'm loving the idea of layers, though -- give me a scarf, trench coat and a pair of boots and I'm a happy camper!

Looking forward to your future insights and inspiration in the world of (Seattle) fashion!!

Clare said...

Yay, welcome!! LOVE those gorgeous earrings.

Nadine said...

Beautiful! Love the vest and shoes. And the earrings are delectable!

bekster said...

What a lovely person you are! (with your wonderful shoes, contageous smile, and reference to 80's hard rock). I am excited to see more...

Melanie said...

I'm really looking forward to your posts!

see you there! said...

I've been checking in with this blog lately and always find it interesting. I love your smile and the fact that we curvey's now have someone to style for us.

Darla

The Thrifty Stylist said...

welcome! can't wait to see your posts! it will be nice to see how you deal with being a curvier girl, too, since as we all know audi has a terrific ass and doesn't have to worry about these sort of things, haha :)

mslouise said...

Love the near-monochrome palette and the argyle! I bet the earrings are even more stunning in person.

Do any of you fab curvy women out there have suggestions of retailers with button-down business shirts that actually accommodate the girls? I have sadly outgrown all my work shirts and desperately need something non-boring for a business trip.

Cheers!
Melissa

treeathie said...

Yay! Hello! Great to see you. :)

Jamie Michelle said...

Yay curves! Yay for rocking the conservative corporate environment! I am in the same situation, and I so look forward to seeing more of your posts!!! :)

Kristen said...

I also work in a conservative corporate environment, so I'll be watching your posts with interest! Love what you did with the monochromatic look; the sweater and the piping on the shoes really stand out against the background of the grey. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess. You and Audi make a perfect blogging (and traveling) duo. You are both very creative in your layering and I always check in here to learn something new. I live in the chilly Seattle area and need to keep warm with layers for many months of the year. I also love both your and Audi's taste in styles. It will be fun to read your guest posts.