Thursday, July 16, 2009

Suggestions

I hope everyone found my Buyer's Remorse posts informative. As you may have noticed lately, I'm trying to add some meatier content to the blog instead of just describing my daily wear. I love all the discussion that gets generated around my more in-depth posts, and many of your comments are very helpful for me as well. I'd love to hear from all of you for suggestions on topics you'd like me to cover, so feel free to stop in and make a request. I've already got one future post rolling around in my head, which is Sal's request for a tutorial on layering skirts. I haven't forgotten, Sal!

On to today's outfit. I'm going to go out on a limb and state that a drape-neck (aka cowl neck) cut looks great on everybody. They are flattering to larger busts because they soften the look of, well, that big 'ol bust sticking out. The look is sexy without being sleazy, and the cowl also adds a slimming V shape down your middle. But this cut is also great for small busts like mine, because the cowl fills in the gap in between your boobs and makes it look like you've got more up top. I just love this shape, and I'd recommend it for anyone -- provided the rest of the garment flatters you below the bust.

This outfit is a modern take on a very retro silhouette. Normally I would pair this dress with a contrasting belt, but I wanted to keep this look simple, long and lean. The end result is unfussy, and looks every bit as comfortable as it is. If it weren't for the heels, I would've felt like I was wearing my pj's all day.

Shirt: Target
Dress: Skunkfunk
Skirt: ??
Shoes: Paolo

11 comments:

Sheila said...

I have a top with this neckline and you are so right - it is majorly flattering (and I'm a big busted gal).

Love the shoes! How many pairs of shoes do you have, Audi? I'd love to see a tour of them.

Lemondrop Marie said...

If we are taking closet tours I would love to see how many belts you have- you use them well all of the time-

notSupermum said...

Cowl necks are flattering, but you don't see many of them in shops at the moment. I have a big bust and they do soften the effect.

Diana said...

I love the way you layer, so I'm definitely looking forward to the skirt layering tute. I second the shoe tour idea - I'd love to get to see all your 'vogs.

Sal said...

Yay! Can't wait for the skirt layering tutorial. Would also love to hear about your thrifting MO. Do you buy basics new, and frosting thrift? You have so many unusual and patterned pieces, and I know many were bought secondhand.

Penny said...

I absolutely adore this one! The lines on it remind me of a flapper and yet at the same time; it's very modern and fun....love it!!!

bekster said...

You inspired me to wear one of my long skirts as a dress. I had been considering altering it because it was too big in the waist, but after reading your first buyer's remorse post I decided to try the dress thing. It seemed to work great, so thanks for that one!

As for a suggestion, I would like to read about how to go about purging one's closet (with the idea that there is only so much storage space). You talked about how to save items that don't get as much use, but how do you know when it's time just to throw something out? (You may have done this one before... I can't remember.)

Patti said...

You look wonderful in the cowl! Wearing the little T underneath is a great idea. I have a cowl that I rarely pull out of the closet (except to admire the color) because the folds seem to exaggerate my aging neck. Perhaps this is a way to avoid the unfortunate comparison!

Colleen Shirazi said...

That is an excellent observation about the cowl neck. :)

Kristina said...

I just found your blog off of WhatIWoreToday and I love it! I'm really loving this outfit and all the layering going on. The polka-dotted skirt under the dress is just fantastic! Can't wait to start following with more frequency. I have a corporate fashion blog I started recently if you're interested in checking it out too - www.whatwouldkrissiewear.com. Best, Krissie

The hour of said...

Hi Audi. I have a question for you, and I couldn't find an email address on the blog, so here it is. I recently bought dress online that I love very much, but when I got it in the mail it turned out to be too short by about 5 inches. I can't return the dress (clearance), and it's otherwise gorgeous, so I'd like to alter it. I can sew and knit, but the design of this dress makes it a challenge to lengthen. Can I email pics of the dress somewhere? It's not on the site anymore, and it would be easier than explaining it. You can contact me at callipsofacto (at) gmail (dot) com.