Monday, July 27, 2009

Pony Hair

I've had this top for a couple of years now, but I'm pretty sure this is the first I've ever worn it to work. Until now I've reserved it mainly for evenings out, because with the embellished butterfly applique it just has that feel to it. I've also taken it with me the last couple of Christmases I've spent down in Mexico, and it's brilliant on a warm, breezy evening at the beach when paired with a flowy skirt and sandals, and this same scarf loosely-tied as a belt.

With this outfit I found a way to make the top work for the office by covering the delicate spaghetti straps with the long cardigan, and holding everything together with the casual belt. I intentionally left the end of the belt flopping out to give it a more relaxed look. I didn't want the outfit to veer into the realm of club wear, particularly since I was also wearing 4-inch leopard print pony hair pumps.

I'll confess that when I pulled these shoes out of the closet the other day, I had to pause for a moment as I realized that I really had no idea exactly what "pony hair" is. I knew that it's the furry leather used in making shoes and handbags and such, but I honestly felt a little bit of a sinking feeling at the thought that this stuff might be made from actual ponies. So I Googled it. Turns out it's made from calf skin -- whew! An adorable baby cow instead of an adorable tiny horse. That's so much better.

Scarf: Banana Republic
Cardigan: Max Studio
Top: Sisley (Benetton)
Belt: Lucky Brand
Jeans: Level 99
Shoes: Saks Fifth Avenue

13 comments:

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

I love the way you have put this look together.

Magatha-May said...

I really think this is my favourite outfit I've seen you in. You look stunning.

lurban said...

I discovered your blog about a week ago and have been merrily clicking about since. Love these shoes, love your humor, love you for pushing me out of my comfort zone (I live in the woods and rarely need much more than jeans and a sweater, but when I do get myself to the city, I'm going to look sharp now.)

Curious about what your clothing budget must be for a year!!

Thanks for the great blog.

Sal said...

Loooove this look, Audi. Everything from those great jeans to the casual belt to the detailed neckline. And, of course, those FAB shoes.

Sheila said...

Those shoes are to die for. You look so tall and lean in this - great trouser jeans!

bekster said...

Very cool. And it works with your snake tattoo too.

Diana said...

Love this outfit, and those shoes are amazing!

For some reason, I always though pony hair was made from trimming the horse's mane. I wonder why they wouldn't just call it calf skin?

Audi said...

lurban: Welcome to the blog, and thanks for taking the time to comment! I shudder to think what my clothing budget must be in a year; I try not to think about it too much to be honest.

Diana: I know, right? It's not as if the term 'pony hair' makes the material sound any more appealing.

Deja Pseu said...

Fa-a-a-abulous shoes!!! I wonder why sometimes it's called calf hair and other times pony hair? Weird.

ShopKim said...

I really like this outfit! I love the way you pulled it all together.

The Thrifty Stylist said...

literally LOL @ the tiny baby horse comment. very lovely!

The Writing Instinct said...

I adore this look. I think I may copy you!

BTW I have had to stop my fashion blog 'Is That New' because of security issues (very disturbing). I am really disappointed to say the least. However, my writing blog is still up and running.

Mervat.

Lorena said...

This look is perfect. I'm already thinking what I can pull from my closet to copy you..!