Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dress It Down

Well, you knew it had to happen at some point: I just wasn't going to be content with reserving this gorgeous vest solely for outside of work. It's way too pretty not to get regular use, so I went on a mission to figure out how to dress it down. The last time I posted an outfit with this vest, the comments were about 50/50 in terms of whether people felt it was too dressy for the office or not, so I'm curious to find out how well I did in my readers' opinions.

A suggestion from reader phantasnight was to try wearing the vest over a simple striped jersey dress, which I thought was a great idea. I don't have exactly such a dress, but I thought this navy and white floral was a fine substitute. The simple day dress makes a good casual backdrop for the vest, and with their matching shades of blue, the two almost look as though they were meant to be worn together. I added the scarf in order to bring out the olive green stripes of the vest and add a funky ethnic vibe. Finally, I wore low-heeled, combat-style boots to dress it down another notch.

If the reaction of my coworkers is any indication, I must have done alright, because nobody said a damn thing about the vest all day. So at the very least I've proven that it's not too dressy for my workplace; however, since I could probably show up for work in a tutu and a top hat without getting any sort of reaction, I realize that's not saying much.

Scarf: local import store
Vest: Attila Designs
Dress: Noa Noa
Tights: Foot Traffic
Boots: Doc Martens

8 comments:

eek said...

THAT is a fabulous look!

Ashe Mischief said...

No Libby boots?

I think this version looks definitely more casual than the last one-- but I think that, seeing them both for the first time, I prefer the other way? Maybe because that's how I'd wear that fine frock of a vest....

Either way though, both are great! I love how the hemlines complement one another...

Kasmira said...

I SO want to see you work the tutu and top hat into a work outfit!

Sal said...

Totally works. Way to dress down a decidedly dressy garment!

Audi said...

Ashe: I know, the Libbies would have been perfect, but you see I had not yet purchased them when I wore this outfit. Of course the pairing is now on the agenda!

Nadine said...

Hey I LOVE the dress and vest! So much so, that I want the scarf out of the way for maximum dress/vest enjoyment.

Sheila said...

I love that you did this! It would never fly at my work.

bekster said...

Both looks are great. I think the last one was better overall (more edgy and just "wow"), but this one definitely works as more casual. Before I got a better look at the vest, my impression (from looking at the casual look pictures) was that it was denim. The shine comes out more in the old pictures. (I don't know if that's from the overall effect of the outfit or if it's just the lighting in the photos.)