Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One of a Kind

Today I thought I'd share an outfit from a recent Girls' Night Out with my friend Laura. I've mentioned this vest before, but this is the first time I've worn it. It was made by the amazing Tiina of Attila Designs by custom order. The silky fabric is a deep midnight blue with tiny pinstripes and olive green trim. I'm fairly certain that it will remain one of the few items I own that are strictly for wearing outside of work, but then I guess anything's possible. What do my readers think -- is it possible to dress this beauty down, or is it just too fancy to wear during the day?

The vest has a very clever design, with strategically-placed snaps that allow it to be converted into several different shapes. Bringing both sides straight up bustles it up around the thighs and shortens up the length in the back. Criss-crossing the ends makes the back of the vest even shorter and shifts the volume towards the hips. And then it can be done asymmetrically as well, with one side straight up or crossed over, and the other side down. For this outfit I ended up wearing both sides down because I thought it had the best proportion with the skinny jeans and boots. It also shows off the vest's lovely blue-gray lining, which gave a little contrast against the dark jeans.

Working with Tiina for the custom order was a lot of fun. She changed up some of the detailing from the original Etsy listing so that the vest would truly be one of a kind. One of the things she added was this little picture of the queen at the back of the neck, which I think is adorable. Now, exactly which queen is a mystery to me -- I'll admit I don't know too many of my monarchs by sight.
Shirt: Max Studio
Jeans: Joe's
Boots: Modern Vintage

19 comments:

Gillian said...

I'm pretty sure that's Queen Elizabeth as a baby/child.

Tina said...

I love the versitility of your vest.

That's Queen Elizabeth I at her coronation.

Kimberly said...

What a completely awesome vest!! The addition of the queen is completely cool!

Penny said...

Pardon the expression but that is bad a@$!!! It's like Lagerfeld meets McQueen.

Nadine said...

Looks like Elizabeth. That vest is INSANE! You should totally wear it to work.

Charlie said...

Wow - that vest is a true piece of artistry - gorgeous

SEO Digital Marketing said...

Audi cars are starting to fire the fancy of the rich Indian consumer and the upper middle class with their current range of Audi A4, Audi A6, Audi A8 and Audi Q7 sedan cars…

meegiemoo said...

That is gorgeous. Beautiful colour.

(haha, my word verification is "shoeness")

Stephanie N. said...

Given the red hair, pasty make-up, and tall starched ruff, I'd concur with others that it's Lizzie I. Because I teach costume history, I have a knack for guessing the date when a portrait was painted based on what the sitter is wearing. It's my favorite thing to do in a museum!

What a lovely custom piece.

Sal said...

Utterly gorgeous. You must've swooned when you opened the package!

And I agree, this one might be TOO dressy to dress down for the office. But still well worth having, obviously.

Work With What You've Got said...

I love that vest and I think it is 100% Audi top to bottom.

i_b_erin said...

Such an AWESOME vest...You must love it! I love the new "steampunk" itmes you have added.

Vanessa said...

That vest is a work of art!! And I don't think it's inappropriate for work. If anyone can rock that thing, you can!

Tali said...

I think it'd be fine for work. I've worked with people who come to work with cotton candy pink hair, top hats, and bustles with sky high platforms. This is tame compared to that!

Do what makes you happy and stop fussing about whether it "fits" in the world of science. Science is about exploration after all ...

phantasnight said...

i think you could dress it down by wearing a jersey striped simple cut straight dress (the white & navy sailor like kind). with the both sides down, and the maximum length of the dress being the same as the vest's length in the back.
in this way the vest would gain sort of a sleeveless trench look in the front, and the racerback with the queen's imprint would make a beautiful contrast with the stripes.
i consider the stripes to be very day-time, on an fabric like jersey that is,of course. plus the white-navy combination would tone down the outfit.

Sheila said...

What a freaking amazing work of art that is! I am in awe!

It would not be work appropriate in my workplace, but I would wear it out or for parties, definitely. Can't wait to see how else you style it over time.

Pretty Pirate said...

that vest is amazing! Love it!

mamalgosia said...

you look like a witch. i love it! :)

Alli said...

What a stunning work of art! Love the criss-cross front and the queen on the back.