Friday, June 19, 2009

Mr. T

When I had to put together this last-minute, assembled-in-the-morning outfit I resolved not to default to my standby blue and orange combo. Somehow I just couldn't let go of the orange though, so here it is paired with gray instead. In my own defense, it actually came about because I was wanting to layer a skirt under this dress, and this mod, circle-patterned skirt seemed like the perfect way to add a little springtime flair to the flat gray. Once I had those two pieces together the orange cardigan just made the most sense.

A found the necklace in a vintage store the last time I was in Seattle, but I have to admit I often don't know how to wear it. I'm no expert at rocking statement necklaces the way Sal is, so there have been several times I've tried to use it and thought it was just too much. I figured with the solid pieces it would stand out but not overwhelm, but just in case, I didn't wear any other jewelry lest I end up looking like Mr. T back in his A-Team days. Yeah, I know Mr. T wore gold, but still.

By the way, this skirt is actually a little too long to hit at the spot I wanted it to, so I actually wore a second elastic belt underneath the dress to hike the skirt up a little and keep it in place. This made for a very toasty midsection, but my skirt stayed put just above the knee.

Dress, belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Cardigan: e-klah
Skirt: I don't know; the label is gone
Boots: Mia

11 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh, fab fab fab. Loving the tights and the boots - and that orange is a gorgeous shade.

notSupermum said...

I came here expecting to see your hair in a mohican and several tons of gold chains and rings. Frankly, I'm disappointed. Nice colour combo though.

Fashion and more said...

Lovely color combination, even the wall and the table cloth fit in lol.

Diana said...

This outfit came together nicely. I love all the orange, especially how the patterned skirt peeks out from under the dress!

bekster said...

Nice, and the necklace works just fine. It picks up the circles in the skirt. However, my eye keeps expecting something hanging at the bottom of the chain, like a round watch. But, I'm sure that would trancend even Mr. T and get into Flavor Flav terriroty... and I "pity the fool" who looks like that. (Sorry, had to say it.) :)

Kat Gregory said...

I just plugged your fabulous blog on Twitter. Your use of color theory and interior design for fashion inspiration makes for an engaging read. There is a real joy and playfulness in your creative coordinations. Your most recent orange and gray ensemble is a practical application for working women.

I have a challenge for you: Living in Northern Europe has shaped my appreciation for layering to an art form, but working in NYC through the summer can pose some issues for me. Wide-leg pants are my staple; Mountain legs make for a need for longer skirts/dresses.

Could you put together an outfit or two that would be worn in a NYC (casual professional) workplace, a site in which the oppressive heat and the color black, the dominant standard fare amongst NYCers, must be considered or countered?
Thanks, Kat in NYC

KT said...

I absolutely think this is one of my all time faves of yours!

Candycane said...

Goregous I love this outfit .. I agree with KT!

Nadine said...

Perfect - one of my faves. Especially like the circle-motif in the necklace and skirt print.

Bopalena said...

Great outfit!

Alli said...

Love this combo!

Without a TV with channels you may not have noticed, but of late Mr. T has taken to selling some sort of portable convection oven on late-night infomercials...or middle-of-the-day infomercials dubbed in Russian, if you're living in Georiga (the former Soviet republic, that is) like me.