Friday, May 8, 2009

A Day at the Races



No, I did not attend the Kentucky Derby and wear this outfit. But I really should have, shouldn't I? I'm determined to attend next year and make myself a big, gorgeous, and somewhat over-the-top hat for the occasion. In the meantime, this outfit was my homage to spending a glamorous day at the races.

This is one of the hats I made in my millinery workshop last year. I'd never really given much thought to straw hats, but Wayne's class changed all that. When I realized that parasisal straw is smooth and pliable, that the tight-woven straw is super high quality and durable, and that it comes in about every color under the sun, I was a convert. I originally thought I would reserve this hat for summer weddings and other such occasions, but I couldn't resist pulling it out and giving it its first airing, having been so inspired watching the Derby over the weekend. I currently have a few straw hats up for sale in the Etsy shop if you'd like to see some other variations.

Cardigan: Noa Noa
Top: Mica
Belt: Audra Jean
Skirt: Ann Taylor
Shoes: Gabriella Rocha

15 comments:

Ally said...

Fabulous!!!

You know how I feel about a hat and a big hat just takes the cake.

fashion1psychology said...

I like the shoes and were did you get that fabulous belt??

Shawn said...

Love those shoes---green, one of my favorites. And the hat-----you are sooooo mah-ve-lously talented in your hat making!

Mary said...

That hat is absolutely gorgeous! And I, like everyone else just adore those shoes. This is so fabulous!

undergradfab.blogspot.com

Fashion and more said...

Yes !!!

Kimberly said...

You are a vision, pretty lady!!!

Stephanie N. said...

Wow! This is like something out of my 1910s Sears catalog book!

Charlotte Sometimes said...

You have been tagged!

http://wardrobeadventures.blogspot.com/2009/05/prom-queen.html

kittyscreations said...

That hat is absolutely gorgeous! I love the shoes too!

The Seeker said...

OMG I'm a hat lover!!!! and that is great!!!
I'm sorry that I have sometimes no guts to wear them :(
You look fabulous

xoxo

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

This is great, love all the color. I can tell you love the outdit too by that sly smile.

MissNeira said...

I am in love with that hat! looks gorgeous on you!

very vintage-esque outfit!


xoxo

neira


http://missneira.com

P said...

Oh Audi- I love your fun blog even though I'm usually too lazy to comment. I just have to say PLEASE do some research before you attend the Kentucky Derby. Glamourous you say?? Maybe for the rich money hungry patrons of the sport but definately NOT for the animals. This is an evil industry that starts working the horses before their young bones are even fully developed putting TOO MUCH EXCESS stress on those fragile little legs. They are pumped with all kinds of steroids and WORKED to exhaustion. I'm sure you know about Barbaro and Eight Belles but did you know that horses need to be euthanized EVERYDAY after tragic falls on racetracks in America. Even some of the champions have had a horrible demise. They don't always live their life out in beautiful pastures. One KD champion was sent to slaughter in Japan in golden years because no one wanted him anymore. PLEASE Audi - do some research before you support such an event- especially if you care about animals.
Thanks!!!

Sheila said...

This is a gorgeous outfit on you! Very 1920/30s and very you. I love the hat! Do you take your hats off at work or wear them all day?

Audi said...

P: I hear what you're saying about horse racing, and I certainly don't advocate the treatment of the animals. Stories like Barbaro and Eight Belles are so tragic.

Sheila: Yes, I wear my hats all day; my hair is very straight and prone to hat head after about 10 minutes with one on.