Thursday, April 9, 2009

Evolution

I tried to buy this dress last year at Banana Republic, but they didn't have any more in my size. Imagine my delight to find it at the Goodwill a few weeks ago for just $7! Though technically it's my size, the dress is actually quite a bit too big, as I discovered this morning when I put it on without the jeans and sweater I was wearing when I tried it in the store. No matter; it'll cost less than $15 to get it altered, which will still be an incredible deal for such a good quality dress.

I think I might also try overdying this dress as well, perhaps with an apple green. The oatmeal color actually strikes me as being less versatile than a color, since it really only looks good with other neutrals. If the dress was green I could wear it with any number of fun colors -- yellow, orange, navy, purple -- so stay tuned for the evolution of this garment. Better outfits are surely still to come.

Hat: made by me
Shirt: H&M
Dress: Banana Republic (thrifted)
Brooch: vintage Trifari
Belt: from a Forever 21 shirt
Boots: Doc Marten's

13 comments:

Kimberly said...

That is an awesome story! Yay for Goodwill! It is a gorgeous dress and can't wait to see it once dyed & altered. Also, Audi, that hat is totally to die for! Love it!

Stephanie N. said...

Yeah, I'd dye it. Adding some color would also better show off the details of the dress.

Sal said...

Oooh, curious to see it overdyed ... and have I mentioned that I ADORE that hat?

slogoin' vws said...

i can't wait to see it green. you'll have to share the brand of dye, i've been looking for a bright green dye and haven't had any luck.

Herbee said...

From what I've read, Dylon is supposed to be one of the best fabric dyes. I have been reading up on it because I have a few things I want to dye, too. Their site says Joann's carries it, but Amazon sells it, as well. I bet this dress will look great in apple green!

bekster said...

I covet that hat. If I had THAT one, I'd actually wear it.

Funny how it is easier to pair things with actual "colors" than neutrals. I got some off-white high-heeled sandals one time, thinking they would go with everything, but it has been a challenge to get them to work with anything at all. However, I (reluctantly) got some other sandals with brown, white, and teal-y blue, and I think those are the most worn sandals in my closet. Go figure.

BTW, my word verification is "gownsoc." (Gown Sock?) Now THAT's an interesting idea...

Mervat said...

I have to admit I really like it the way it is. But, I know you will make it look terrific! Can't wait to see the end result.

Lmac said...

How great is that! Glad you got the dress after all! Cute hat btw!

Sheila said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE that hat! You're so talented!

PS - have added you to my blog links.

Linda said...

Cute dress (even cuter hat!). But I don't get why you couldn't wear it with colors. Am I Style Impaired?

Audi said...

slogoin' vws: The brand I'm using is this one: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3796-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

I got the avocado green and the chartreuse with the idea of mixing them together, mad-scientist-like. I'll do a follow-up post once I'm finished with the dress. In the meantime, I'm gonna go put on my lab coat and work on my sinister, maniacal laugh. Mwa-hah-hah!

Linda: No, you're not style-impaired. Plenty of other people manage to mix neutrals and colors just fine, but I find it a bit challenging in a case like this. With such a large expanse of solid neutral, I would find it hard to throw a color in there and not have it look washed out. And then, I've been wanting a green dress AND wanting to try out dying something, so there you go.

jenifer said...

You look great in this dress!! I love to buy stylish and cool dresses from Banana Republic...

Karen said...

I don't love the dress on you Audi, hope you don't mind me saying. The double buttons takes away from your teeeny waist. Maybe try a self-belt and cinch it tighter? Hope you don't mind the crit! It's meant to be constructive and loving!