Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dominatrix

I've had these amazing Fluevog boots for a few years now, but rarely do they ever make an appearance at work. With most outfits I feel like they're a little too dominatrix to be work-appropriate, but with this one they add just the right amount of edginess without the whole outfit being too over-the-top. I also like the way they accentuate the curves of my legs, which helps offset the very angular jacket.

The jacket is from the 80's and is one I picked up a few weekends ago at Goodwill. Normally I steer clear of any of the resurging 80's looks, having been a participant in some of the most unfortunate of 80's trends the first time around. Had this jacket been longer I'd have recoiled from it in horror, but the wide shoulders combined with the cropped length and fitted waist gives the jacket a 40's flair, which I quite like. And since the dress is very straight and somewhat clingy, the shoulder pads in the jacket help to fill out my top half. I added the skirt underneath the dress to bring just a little more volume to the lower hem -- balance is everything, especially when shoulder pads are involved.

Jacket, dress: thrifted
Necklace: H&M
Skirt: LA Made
Socks: Sock Dreams
Boots: John Fluevog

14 comments:

Summer said...

Oh my, i really missed a lot in your blog..But now i'm here again visiting you my friend..I love your jacket, gorgeous.;D
And that colorful skirt is just wonderful to fit with your outfit.
Amazing girl, i really love your style.Very colorful, very bright.
Hope you could visit my blog too..Have a nice day friend.;D

kittyscreations said...

I love that jacket (and the fact that there's so much red in your outfit). It really doesn't scream 80's, but that's a good thing.

Stephanie N. said...

I can't decide what I love most about this look:
1) The heel on those boots.
2) Those tights with what reminds me of aborigine body-paint markings I researched recently.
3) The fun pop from the skirt peeking out beneath the dress.

Nope, I still can't decide.

Herbee said...

I am loving this outfit and the silhouette is so flattering on you! (I think red is definately your colour, too.) The balance of the feminine skirt and the "I may kick your ass later" boots and tights is perfection.

Kimberly said...

Ooooh, I really like this, Audi! the jacket is awesome and doesn't come across as 80's at all. Plus, those boots are way cool!

Sal said...

Faaaantastic. The teal skirt peeking out is such a fabulous, unexpected touch.

Vanessa said...

This is an incredibly flattering look! I don't think I would have even guessed that this was an 80's jacket. You look maaahvelous!

notSupermum said...

That's a great outfit, really love the whole thing.

Ditto said...

I'm with the others. This is a really fantastic look. I wish I could just clone it to my size in my closet. :)

WendyB said...

Love the boots -- the whole outfit, but especially the boots.

Le Tasché said...

I really can´t take my eyes of your boots. Amazing !!!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

oh my! with the panel on the side to show thru tights or bare skin, amazing.

agus said...

Oh gosh! I love your shoes, the are amazing !!

Alli said...

Really love this outfit! The red jacket is awesome, I love that skirt under the dress (I thought it was a part of the dress for a second when I first looked at the picture), and those boots are killer. Well done!