Friday, February 20, 2009

Radical New Direction

I thought I was taking my look in a radical new direction yesterday with these cowboy boots, but since no one at work said jack about them I suppose they're really not that big a departure from my usual sartorial menu. To me though, they are unlike anything I've ever owned; in fact, even a year ago I'd never have imagined myself wearing a pair of cowboy boots, let alone obsessing about finding a pair as I have been for the last couple of months. I scored this well-worn pair from eBay; I don't much like the look of new cowboy boots, but I've really warmed up to the look of beat up ones. These are a soft gray leather with subtle brown, cream, and purple stitching, which makes them pretty versatile.

The tunic top is new from the Red Dress Shoppe. I originally tried this outfit without the skirt underneath, and though the tunic is certainly long enough to wear as a dress, it somehow just didn't strike me as being work-appropriate that way. Amazing how that meager inch and a half of skirt peeking out under the hem can make such a big difference. To me it really isn't about the length of the tunic, because I have other dresses that are this short; it's more the combination of the short length with the babydoll cut that make it look too youthful for me to wear as a dress, at least at work. Perhaps with the right styling I could overcome this effect, but for now I like it just fine as a top.

Hat: Monsoon
Sweater: La Redoute
Tunic: Red Dress Shoppe
Skirt: Anthropologie
Tights: American Apparel
Boots: vintage Morgan

9 comments:

Sal said...

The boots are a glory to behold. And I know what you mean about adding that second layer - sometimes a mere inch can make all the difference, comfort-wise.

Morzel: said...

Nice tunic - I really like the neckline. Off topic: how do you light your photographs? Your pictures are always wonderful to look at and are really professional. What´s the secret?!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Love the boots, I grew up in Stampede City, so they were always a must. :-)

i_b_erin said...

Hey Audi...I think I have the same boots...but I dont wear gray, so I did a brown wash over them, making them kinda of two-toned and even funkier.
I love this tunic..I am on the look for one now, and yep, I understand about one more inch!

notSupermum said...

Audi, why would your co-workers say anything about the boots when they didn't mention the apron the first time you wore it? You're going to have to up your game and give the co-workers a real shock!! ;-)

Le Tasché said...

One of the things I really do not like in fashion are cowboy boots.
Whereas your skirt would also be mine!

Audi said...

Morzel: The secret for the lighting is that I have a flash with an adjustable head, which I bounce off the ceiling rather than pointing it straight at me. This diffuses the light and gets rid of harsh shadows. If you don't have a tiltable flash, you can try putting a piece of tissue paper over your flash to soften the light. One of these days I'll show my setup in more detail in a blog post.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Alli said...

Cute buttons on that tunic!!