Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Present

Sorry for not posting yesterday, but when I came home I found a not-so-nice little 'present' that Georgie left me, and after cleaning it up I was really in no mood to smile for the camera. You'll just have to take my word for it that my outfit yesterday was really cute. And since I'm sort of bummed about not posting it, this gives me an excuse to wear it again, which is something I rarely do.

Today's outfit is entirely thrifted and DIY except for the tights and boots. Last weekend Goodwill was having a sale -- all clothing items were $2! -- and this little plaid turtleneck top was one of the things I scored. It's actually a boxy, mod cut, but belted underneath this shirtdress it has a whole different look. I love the 3/4 length sleeves; for some reason if I wear full length sleeves I always end up pushing them up anyway. The shirt is from the 60's or maybe early 70's.

Hat: Hand knit by me
Shirt, dress, skirt: thrifted
Belt: Made by Mark and I
Tights: Falke
Boots: Bata

8 comments:

GG said...

Hi Audi, really impressed by your outfits as usual, but am speechless about the belt. Would love it if you could tell us how you made it. Is it leather? Thanks!

notSupermum said...

Very impressed once again with your thrifting skills. I have decided to set myself a challenge of finding something in a charity (thrift) shop - I'll let you know how I get on.

Sal said...

Uh oh - hope Georgie was just cranky and not illin' ...

I've been experimenting with shirtdresses belted over other dresses, but I love how you've got one print peeking out up top and another at the skirt. Brill.

LeeHovey said...

I work in a non-stylish, male dominated industry as well (IT), it's so much fun being the stylish one in the office!

Anyway, I love the risk you are taking here with the mismatched prints, but they work so well on you!

Beth said...

I would have overlooked the denim dress in a thrift shop, my narrow mind only able to picture someone in it with no makeup, keds sneakers and a hair bun...but THANK YOU for opening my mind to new possibilities for the denim dress! Adorable. I will stroll Goodwill with new eyes.

eednic said...

100 million percent awesome!! i love this outfit.

Audi said...

GG: Yes, the belt is leather; I found a similar one at Urban Outfitters and decided to try to copy the design myself, since my boyfriend Mark has some experience with leatherworking. We first made a template out of paper, then traced out the design on some thick leather and cut it with sturdy scissors. Since we didn't have one long continuous piece, the belt is actually comprised of several smaller sections that are stitched together. Mark has a tool that punches evenly-spaced slits in the leather, and once the holes were punched I stiched the pieces together the way you'd lace up a shoe. Mark attached the straps with metal rivets. Without his help I definitely wouldn't have been able to pull it off, but the process was actually fairly easy once we got started.

Alli said...

I love the mix of patterns in this ensemble.

(a little irony: the word verification is "match")