Monday, January 5, 2009

Vintage Fur


This little vintage fur stole was a timely addition to my wardrobe, as it was absolutely freezing in my office today. Not exactly a welcoming first day back after a holiday break spent relaxing on a warm sunny beach south of the border.

I'm not a big fan of large expanses of fur, because I don't think it's very attractive to look like a wooly mammoth. I also don't advocate producing or buying of any new fur pieces, since there are quite enough quality items in existence already. However, vintage fur in a small piece like this or as a trim on a lapel or cuff looks very chic and retro classic, and is warm and cozy to boot. I found this pristine-condition piece at a second hand store a few weeks ago when I was scouring the city for interesting items to use as hat trimmings; the stole set me back just $8.

Hat: Alternative Design Studio
Sweater: Banana Republic
Stole: Vintage
Obi belt and skirt: Sunhee Moon
Shoes: Cole Haan

8 comments:

i_b_erin said...

Welcome back!
I too agree, on using vintage pieces. I found a wonderful cream wool coat with a fur collar, and I dont mind the fur, I consider it giving the fur a second life, and enjoying it.
Peace and joy to you this new year! Erin

V said...

This looks gorgeous on you! Especially love the belt and skirt.

Kimberly said...

Love this look and what a great find with the stole! I have been looking for one for a while now and can't find any in decent condition that don't cost an arm and a leg! This gives me hope!

Sal said...

Welcome back, gorgeous! Hope you'll share a trip photo or two with us.

The stole and hat are a dynamite combo.

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

The lil bit of fur looks great, would be a nice change from my daily scarf.

P said...

I'm sorry but fur is never good. There are a lot of good fakes to choose from - so please think about it.

Audi said...

P: I hear what you're saying, and for sure if I were choosing a new piece, I'd NEVER consider buying real fur.

Emily Kennedy said...

Bella bella. Of course I always think this skirt is bella, but it's nicely mixed with the other colors in the outfit.