Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dedication

Today's blog post is dedicated to Mark's coworker Margaret (hi Margaret!), who wanted to have a look at the vintage coat I just scored for a ridiculously low price on eBay. The coat appears below, but first I'll give the details on the outfit that was created especially for it.

Dress: a 'hand-me-up' from my sister
Cardigan: Max Studio
Scarf: from a local import store
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Boots: MIA

For a couple of years now I've been searching for the perfect shawl-collar jacket with a fitted waist. It turned out to be a lot harder to find than I imagined, mainly because I was hooked on getting a vintage one, and many of those are either the wrong size or not in good enough shape for my liking. When I found this one on eBay I would have been willing to pay a much higher price for its creamy perfection, but I ended up winning the auction for just $10.50! Even with shipping it only cost me around $20. The fur collar is soft and luxurious, and the coat fits like a dream and is in near-mint condition. I generally try to avoid getting my mind set on finding a really specific item because of the almost always futile and time-consuming search that follows, but in this case it proved to be worth the effort.

17 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh, Audi, it is gorgeous! I took a break from ebay for the past few months, but after seeing this it makes me want to go "shopping"! My friends and I have a dance we do whenever we win something fabulous on ebay and once I saw the picture of this coat I was totally doing the dance in my head. ♥!

mummabee said...

Oh that coat is truly divine!!!

Jane said...

That coat is fabulous and you wear it so well.

notSupermum said...

That's a beauty alright, and even more so because it was a bargain!

I occasionally buy on eBay, and recently got two dresses for a fraction of the original costs but I have to be sure to set a strict limit otherwise it's so easy to get carried away with bidding isn't it?

meegiemoo said...

Fabulous coat.

I just found your blog and you've inspired me. I have a very boring policy job in government and I try to "funky" up the office. You've given me some great ideas.

(Also, my boss wears the same dress every day. Has for 4 years. Someone has to counteract that mojo.)

Sal said...

What an unbelievable score! I know just what you mean about setting your mind to a certain item creating a giant jinx ... but it's SO fun when your searching actually pays off.

Vanessa said...

What a steal; It's gorgeous!

Kasmira said...

That's a great coat and a great fit! It's lovely on your figure.

I also like today's outfit. It's so mod! And the colorblocking is super slimming.

i_b_erin said...

I love the dress also!
I gave up a couple of leather coats, that fit well, with a vintage fur collar on it, but I hated the sound..I know..wierd.
The next day, at the local thrift store I found a lime green vintage wool coat. The coat gods were looking out for me, and treated you well also! Enjoy!!

estrella said...

You've been SO lucky!!

Stephanie N. said...

What an amazing find!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

oh it's lovely, I tend to rarely spend more than $20 total on ebay purchases, but it takes sooo much browsing. This one definitely worth it!

a cat of impossible colour said...

Amazing coat!

thevintageyear said...

Hi there, I've just discovered your blog and I am smitten with your style! My line of work is predominantly science-based and working mainly with animals to boot - so function over fashion is the unfortunate reality... I'm heartened to see you flying the flag for style in an un-stylish workplace. :)

Londyn said...

That jacket is PHENOMINAL! I've been looking for something like that as well. Just beautiful.

Hillary said...

Hey Audi! I've been a big fan of your blog for quite some time. I love your style and I have started wearing hats more often because of you. I love, love this outfit. The coat is lovely :-)

Andrea said...

That coat is delectable! I'm jealous, although you certainly did have to wait and work for it.