Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Pants For Icelanders

I realized today that I haven't really discussed my recent trip to Paris and Iceland very much, and I hope to correct that very soon. Part of the problem is that my old computer didn't have enough available memory for me to upload all my digital photos, so I've been waiting until I figured out the new system before I dealt with trying to post any of those. I still can't quite decide which program I want to use for them.

In the meantime, let your imagination carry you to the fashion of downtown Reykjavik on a Friday or Saturday night. It shouldn't be hard, because very little is actually left to the imagination. First imagine, if you will, that I was wearing this black tunic top as a dress. Now pretend that instead of thick leggings, I had on semi-opaque tights. Finally, picture approximately 70% of women in their 20's to early 30's dressed that way, and you'll have a good idea of the fashion catastrophe that is Reykjavik right now. I realize that the country is in the midst of a terrible financial crisis, but I had no idea that the situation was so dire: there is apparently a massive shortage of pants among young Icelandic women! The whole city looks like an installment of Don't Show-Cha Your Chocha! I'm thinking of starting up a humanitarian effort called Pants For Icelanders -- who's with me?

I'm not really exaggerating very much here. I saw a lot of cheeks that frankly I wish I could unsee. So to all the Icelanders out there; please, I adore your country and I think you're beautiful and interesting people, but for God's sake put some pants on!!!

Shirt (which is not a dress): H&M
Dress (See how I wore it under the shirt there? It's easy, really.): Lady Language
Leggings: Kersh
Boots: Doc Marten
Hat: San Diego Hat Company

13 comments:

WendyB said...

You've got kind of a casual flapper look going on here. Very nice. All those Iceland gals must get chilly down below...

kittyscreations said...

Those Icelanders must be freezing. I know there is some pain involved in beauty and fashion, but frostbite should not be included in that.

Kimberly said...

Ha, I agree - it is way to cold to go pantless! I love this look, Audi. It still has so many creat elements and yet the color palette is so simple. You are fantastic!

CompassRose said...

In fairness, the "shirt as dress" look is blasting through fashion blogs internationally right now. Preferably worn with studded, buckleacious hooker platform boots with six-inch heels, it seems. Any thrifted 80s tunic is fair game if it covers one's bum while standing perfectly straight in windless conditions...

notSupermum said...

That's a really chic look, and you so suit hats. I hate you. :-)

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

lol, sometimes we have the same problem in my city.

Hillary said...

My girlfriend and her fiance just booked their honeymoon in Iceland. I had to send her your blog so you knoew what to expect to see.

Love this outfit, but then again you always look great. I love your style and your blog!

Jael Paris said...

Cute!

KT said...

Damn I love this outfit!

Audi said...

All: In response to the 'cold' comments, yes! I'm certain they must be freezing, though they're very good at hiding it. A friend of mine coined the term "fro-cha" for the nether-regions of Icelandic women.

CompassRose: Sadly, you're right. Though from my observations the situation is worse in Reykjavik than elsewhere. And Eyeliah, do you think I need to start a "Pants for Canadians" campaign too??

NotSupermum: Actually, I think a feminine-cut fedora would look smashing on you. I'd love to see you try it!

Hillary: Don't get me wrong; I adore Iceland and all its denizens. I've been there 6 times, have gone all the way around the island twice, and speak a fair amount of the language. But the fashion can sometimes kill me... as it did the most recent visit. Let's hope that trend has died out by the time your friend honeymoons there. BTW, if she needs any tips on what to see, feel free to send her my way!

Kate said...

I absolutely LOVE this outfit! ^_^ So pretty!

Whitney said...

I live in Norway and the tunic trend is very alive and kicking here too! Has been since I arrived 2+ years ago.

I like to call it “pregnancy chic” and I do not think the style of wearing tunics over leggings/tights (then choose your shoe depending upon occasion-heel, tall boot, bootie, flat shoes, etc.) is going anywhere. A lot of my Norwegian friends say it’s a lot easier to get dressed this way in the AM (especially in winter) wearing such a simple outfit, and especially if you have kids. If you have recently given birth-which many fo them have-it hides the post-belly and makes breast feeding easier. Factor in the (very windy, wet, and cold) weather and it’s tunics for all! It’s all about simplicity and ease here.

I’ve seen the look pulled off a lot better on women who wear embellished tunics and chic shoes and accessories (!!!!) People OD on scarves here, which I quite like, but they rarely wear bracelets, rings and earrings in the same abundance we do in the U.S.

Emily Kennedy said...

He he. But really, Audi, you could wear the black tunic you're wearing in these pics with a pair of opaque leggings and be freakin' adorable! Seriously! Or you could rock a pair of ponte knit pants, as slightly more structured than leggings, or a pair of skinny jeans, as a step up from even that. All the same, you would be working with the same shapes, and they would be adorable on you!

But definitely not just tights. That's pretty scandalous.