Thursday, November 20, 2008

Peacock

This is one of the hats I created at my millinery workshop last weekend. As if the rich, eggplant purple wasn't eye-catching enough, I decided I needed to adorn it with a bright blue band and top it off with a peacock feather. I decided this on Saturday evening as I was driving home. My very next thought was, "Where in the hell am I going to get a peacock feather before tomorrow morning?" My first stop upon returning to San Francisco was Mark's house, and what did I find waiting for me there? A peacock feather that he had randomly picked up for me while he was out running errands that day. I kid you not.

I love the look and feel of layered skirts, especially when the bottom layer is tulle. It makes a delightful swishy sound and keeps your legs toasty warm. Plus it feels soft and girly, as well as a touch old-fashioned. I layered this purple tulle skirt underneath a bias-cut knit one for extra movement and drape. The teal skirt is actually a mid-calf length, but here I hiked it up a little and used the obi belt to hold it in place. The outfit felt so good that I was inspired to try a Kasmira-style twirl.

Hat: Made by Audi!
Top: thrifted
Cardi: A cast-off from my sister
Tulle skirt: Noa Noa
Knit skirt: LA Made
Boots: Modern Vintage
Obi: ??

13 comments:

Alison said...

Wow! You have a great talent in hat making. Love the colors and the peacock feather really sets it all off. Great work!

Kasmira said...

Great twirl! And I love the peacock feather and color/texture mix.

Sal said...

The quirky brim! The gorgeous color! The serendipitous peacock feather adornment! Well done, Mistress Milliner.

Kimberly said...

Great colors and once again I adore the hat. The fact that Mark had the feather just waiting for you - so perfect! I ♥ little stories like this!

notSupermum said...

Audi, you are indeed a lucky girl. Mark is clearly perfect for you!

Btw, the hats are fab.

Mini and Menchi said...

Ah, hat love. It's so gorgeous and quirky.

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

wow, you know I am so impressed!

Shen-Shen said...

I loooove the tulle, and the hat is adorable!!

i_b_erin said...

Awesome Audi!'
I adore the peacock feather, and even better to be given it! Looks like your class really paid off!

The Writing Instinct said...

Audi, it looks like you may have found an alternate career to science...I certainly would by your creations! And your choice of colours for the hat are probably the most beautiful colour combinations.

Mervat.

kittyscreations said...

The outfit is great and I love the hat. I love how you mixed several colors without looking clashy.

Sarah Von said...

How cute are you?! I love the layered skirts. I suspect they would make me feel mysterious and worldly and gypsy-like :D

a cat of impossible colour said...

Gorgeous hat.
Gorgeous skirt.
Serendipitous peacock feather!