Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Creativity Unleashed

I really adore this new Noa Noa dress -- this is already the second time I've worn it since I brought it back from Paris just a few weeks ago. Today I gave it more of a relaxed look by adding the Western-style boots (from an unknown Italian manufacturer) and the belt that Mark and I made. The brown knit shirt is from Anne Taylor, the scarf is from my local import store, and the tights are also from Noa Noa.

As promised, here are a few pictures of the recent work I've done on my little apartment (all these photos are clickable). After I moved the refrigerator out of my shoebox-sized kitchen and into my unnecessarily-large dining room, I was inspired to make all sorts of other changes, of which the dining room paint was the most recent. I posted my kitchen wall graphic project before, and since that time I added all these rail-mounted storage gadgets from Ikea, as well as this tall, narrow shelving unit, magnetic spice rack, and pot rack (also all from Ikea). I also painted my cabinet doors a bright apple green from the drab white they had been.






In the dining room, I traded a giant round dining table for a small one with drop-down leaves, replaced a large wooden chest with a small computer desk, and added this gorgeous marigold color to the walls. Even with the addition of the refrigerator I still have more open space in there than I did when most of the room was consumed with the round table. The new color actually makes the room feel larger, and helps to tie together the different colors in my 2 large pieces of artwork. Note the sleeping dog in the photo to the left; that's how Georgie looks about 90% of the time.

Several years ago I decided I was really bored with biotech and wanted to do something vastly different. I got about halfway through an interior design program before I decided that my scientific career had taken a turn for the better and I was going to stick with it. I'm happy with the decision I made, but I still feel those creative urges and am constantly searching for outlets for it in my daily life. Besides my office wear, my apartment is the place I most frequently unleash my creativity.

12 comments:

a cat of impossible colour said...

Your house is stunning! I love all the colour, and am particularly enamoured of that gorgeous graphic on your kitchen wall.

The dress is lovely too, the print is so energetic.

Sal said...

Audi, AMAZING! The wall decals are fantastic in the kitchen, and the marigold makes your dining room look deliciously warm. I wouldn't be surprised if something interior designy ends up being a side biz for you ...

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Your home is so beautiful. love all the color.

Kimberly said...

You and your place look amazing! So fantastic!!!

sarah gilmour said...

Hi! Sarah here. I just kind of stumbled on your site and just wanted to let you know I stopped by! Your style is so very unique and very fashionable. I love the concept behind your blog and am glad you have decided to show your outfits to the online world. :)

Jessi said...

Amazing transformation! You can come decorate my apartment anytime...you know...if you need a creative outlet. lol

kittyscreations said...

I love the way you combine colors in outfits. And your apartment is gorgeous. I've always debated painting bright and bold colors in my house, but I tend to stay safe and boring with neutrals.

i_b_erin said...

Great choice of colors, I love the bold green in the kitchen..Ill come cook for you in your kitchen!
And as always, you look great, its fun to see all your new purchases. Your closet must be bulging just like mine!! Keep up the great color, esp as we turn to fall and need all the color in our northern cal weather! Erin

Audi said...

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty proud of my little projects, so it's great to get all the positive feedback.

Sal: I have in fact kicked around the idea of doing some sort of interior design consulting on the side; I'm just not sure how to get started or if I'd even have the time. Someday...

Kittyscreations: The great thing about paint is that if you don't like it, you can simply cover it up with more paint. So be bold!! There's something really wonderful about surrounding yourself with rich color in your home. If you're tentative, just start with painting one wall. Trust me, you won't regret it. Color makes you feel good in a way that boring neutrals never will.

i_b_erin: Ironically, I hate to cook, so feel free to come on over and use the kitchen anytime! ;-)

grace said...

Your apartment is lovely. The kitchen especially. I love the colors and the birds. You've made great use of storage accessories, too. Wow.

E said...

Oh, totally rad, Audi!! All of it!

Jessica Joan said...

You really pull this look of well! I love it!!