Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Confession

I have a confession to make. About a month ago I placed a self-imposed clothes-shopping moratorium on myself, which I have now twice broken. The first time was for a pair of short black boots, which just arrived today from Amazon and which will be making an appearance soon, no doubt. I found them on sale for $23 and figured I could justify breaking the moratorium for such a great deal.

Then the other day I spotted this dress at The Red Dress Shoppe. Recognizing its potential for a myriad of different looks, I was intrigued. But when I saw that it runs small in the bust, I knew I needed to get it. So many fitted styles like this have darts in all the wrong places for my figure, but this dress fits like a dream; in fact, it looks and feels like it was custom-made just for me. I've already thought of at least a dozen other looks I can make with it, and have earmarked it as one of my top picks for items to take with me on my trip to Paris. I think it'll look great with colorful tights or turtlenecks, with a blazer and boots, topped with a bright cardigan, with a tie-neck blouse underneath...

Oh, I also ordered a second dress from The Red Dress Shoppe the other day. Oops.

The rest of the outfit:
Belt: Came with the dress
Tights: Noa Noa
Shoes: Bronx
Hat: Seeberger

My full-length gray slip just barely peeked out from beneath the hem of the dress, and is visible in the second photo.

9 comments:

workthatwardrobe said...

You are right about the dress - I can see lots of possibilities.
I have sent you a special award.
I think your investment shows how difficult it can be not to spend any money!

Audi said...

Thanks Jane! I'm so touched that you thought of me. You're so right about how hard it is not to spend, especially when you come across those great deals. Breaking my moratorium twice in a month is pretty bad -- a weak and silly thing am I. Twice as much respect goes out for you now, love.

Not that I'm experiencing buyer's regret, mind you... ;-)

Sal said...

A dress for small-busted women that INCLUDES a corset belt? Let me just find my credit card ...

Super Kawaii Mama said...

Oh this is too too wonderful! the proportions the silhouette, the splashes of red, even the instep of the shoes. That hat is just perfect on you and the whole ensemble has quite a filmic quality to it. I am so adding you to my daily reads. :)

Mervat said...

Hi Audi,
As always you look fantastic! What a great buy...a true staple (as a dress or wearing it as a skirt even!). And to think the belt came with the dress...a brilliant buy!
Mervat (from Sydney!)

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

what a dress, want one.

Songy said...

great colour and the belt. oh the belt. I so want that.

Alli said...

Such a flattering and versatile dress! Well worth breaking the moratorium.

Emily Kennedy said...

That dress is the dopeness! And it came with the belt?! Fabulousness. It's also a really good length on you, making your legs look lovely. Wow. Just wonderful!