Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Walking in Heels

Here's another variation on the classic secretary look. I always feel very sexy sporting an outfit like this one. The leopard print top is slightly sheer and is another recent find from Forever 21. The waistcoat is by Sisley (from Benetton), the skirt is a cast-off from my younger sister, the belt is from the Red Dress Shoppe, and the delicious patent leather shoes are from BCBG Girls.

Indulge me while I rant for a moment. Lately I've been noticing an increasing number of women who don't know how to walk in high heels, but insist on wearing them anyway. I feel very strongly that if you're going to rock a pair of sexy heels, you really need to work the strut that goes with them. Here are the key ingredients, in my opinion, to a proper high heel strut:

1. Take long, slow, confident strides. No shuffling.
2. Feet should be pointed forward, not towards one another.
3. Allow your hips, not your legs, to compensate for the angle of the heel. This means your butt will sway back and forth as you walk. Don't worry, this is the whole point.
4. Each step should be roughly in front of where the last one fell. In other words, don't lumber along with your legs spread apart like a rodeo cowboy. Imagine you're taking a roadside sobriety test.
5. Stand up straight, for crying out loud!

If this still isn't making any sense, try studying the long shot of Marilyn Monroe walking along the dam in Niagara. Either that, or please, please quit wearing heels if the best you can pull off is a pigeon-toed shuffle like a 5-year-old playing dress up in her big sister's clothes.

Ahh, I feel better.

5 comments:

Ally said...

YES!!!

1) I looove your outfit. "Secretary" is one of my favorite moves and I love sexy secretary outfits.

2) One of my pet peeves is when people can't walk in heels. The shuffling and clopping and omg. It drives me INSANE. Ditto with the flipping and flopping with flip flops. PICK UP YOUR FEET AND WALK.

Whew. I feel better now too!!

Kimberly said...

You should feel sexy because you look hot! I love this outfit! I have a sexy secretary outfit planned for sometime soon. By the way, you got some really fantastic stuff at Forever 21!

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness, this outfit looks FABULOUS on you!!! You have me wanting to pull out my similar sexy secretary with leopard print outfit from a couple weeks ago!!

I must own up to the fact that I wear high heels constantly and ideally would follow point #1--however, I'm frequently in very straight skirts and am in a massive hurry and end up walking in small quick steps in my heels (I do follow all the other rules though!) My old office had a wood floor and my co-workers said the quick clicks of my heels were so distinctive that they always knew it was me when I was coming in the office :-) However, after reading your post today, I made an effort to slow down and take longer, slower strides in my fabulous new heels you'll see soon. I felt the power :-) I need to slow down that heel walk, forget being on time!!!

E said...

I totally laughed out loud at the Walking In Heels Instructions :)
I DO pick up my feet both in heels and flippers. Not in my Birks, though...

This outfit is HOT. I love your shoes, the waistcoat, the shape of the skirt... Love it all.

Emily Kennedy said...

Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha!!! Yup, heels and the swaying hip; they must go together.

But about this outfit: LOVE the proportions. Really. Perfecto.